Getting Organized for Tax Time

Looking To Be A Tax Preparation Professional? How To Get A Job

Posted by on Sep 28, 2016 in Uncategorized | Comments Off

If you are looking for a career in the field of finance and you think you want to prepare taxes for a living, you can get started right away. Every year people have to do their taxes, and every year there are companies looking for seasonal tax preparers that can help with the extra load of customers they have coming in the doors. Getting started and finding a job can be much easier than you think. You’ll want to take the time to research different training options, and to find out what company you want to work for. Consider the...

read more

People You Need To Speak To If You Think Your Property Taxes Are Too High

Posted by on Jul 13, 2016 in Uncategorized | Comments Off

If you have just received your property tax bill in the mail, you may be shocked at how high your taxes are. House taxes are generally arrived at by multiplying your town’s tax rate by your home’s assessed value, as determined by the town’s tax assessor. Sometimes the town’s tax rate has gone up which explains higher tax bills, but there are also times when a house is overvalued. In that case, you would also see an increase in your property tax burden. Luckily for you, if you think your house has been overvalued, you...

read more

3 Things You Need To Know About Tax Returns

Posted by on Feb 29, 2016 in Uncategorized | Comments Off

While just about everyone knows that they are supposed to file a tax return each year, that doesn’t stop countless people from not doing so. Whether it be because they are worried about owing the government or they simply don’t know what they are doing, letting years of unfiled tax returns continue to pile up isn’t doing you any good. To help you better understand more about dealing with unfiled tax returns, here are a few things you need to know. Not filing your returns can get you in trouble. You are responsible for making...

read more

How To Investigate A Caregiver For Your Parents

Posted by on Nov 23, 2015 in Uncategorized | Comments Off

Many people think that employee background checks are done for government jobs or big businesses. The truth is, everyone should go through a background check before being hired for any type of position, especially a personal position. If you are hiring a caregiver for a family member who needs help around the house, it is important to know this person’s skill level and their background. Here is what you should look for in a caregiver’s background.  Require all past history If you want to find out the caregiver’s total...

read more

4 Options For Stopping Tax-Related Wage Garnishment From The IRS

Posted by on Aug 13, 2015 in Uncategorized | Comments Off

It happens out of nowhere; you get a notice from the IRS that they’re going to start garnishing your wages due to unpaid taxes owed to the government. Sure enough, your next pay stub includes a hefty deduction due to your wage garnishment. What do you do next if you don’t have the money to pay off your tax burden? Fortunately, you do have some options for temporarily or even permanently stopping wage garnishments from the IRS. Work Out a Payment Plan If you’re unable to pay the taxes you owe upfront, you may still be able to...

read more

Tax Tips For Contractors And Freelance Workers

Posted by on Jul 13, 2015 in Uncategorized | Comments Off

Becoming an independent worker is the dream for many people. However, it does come with a few drawbacks, one of them being that you will have more complicated taxes. Here are some tips for keeping your personal finances in order come tax time. Keep Track of Your 1099’s Every time you make more than $600 from a single employer, they are responsible for giving you a form 1099 that shows how much money they’ve paid you for the year. You can keep track of these by keeping a list of the 1099 forms you expect to receive. If you...

read more

Filing IRS Form 2290 To Report And Pay The Heavy Highway Vehicle Use Tax

Posted by on Jun 24, 2015 in Uncategorized | Comments Off

Trucking companies and owner-operators must pay a federal excise tax annually on road tractors. The tax is assessed on highway vehicles that weigh over 55,000 pounds, so larger buses are taxed also. Anyone responsible for reporting and paying the tax can benefit from learning more about IRS Form 2290. Although the excise tax is assessed on most over-the-road vehicles weighing over 55,000 pounds, exemptions are allowed, including one for vehicles driven less than 5,000 miles annually. In the case of a road tractor, the threshold of 55,000...

read more

3 Red Flags To Watch For When Hiring A Tax Preparation Service

Posted by on May 14, 2015 in Uncategorized | Comments Off

You might be surprised to learn that even with the proliferation of DIY tax preparation software the IRS estimates that nearly 50% of individual filers still utilize a tax preparation service. If you are in this group, then there are some things that you need to know when you choose your next tax preparer to ensure that you are utilizing a legal tax service. Here are some red flags that should alert you that the tax preparer you are interviewing might not be legal: Red Flag #1: Tax Preparer Uses the IRS’s name or Logo on Website or...

read more

4 Advantages To Outsourcing Payroll Services Rather Than Leasing Employees

Posted by on Mar 31, 2015 in Uncategorized | Comments Off

Are you sick of running your employee payroll? Usually you have two major options: you can outsource your payroll services to a company like A & C Accounting & Tax that specializes in payroll or you can just lease your employees outright through an employee leasing program. Though either option will let you avoid wading through paperwork, outsourcing your payroll is usually the better option. 1. You Can Get a Better Quality of Labor When you lease employees, a significant portion of your payments go through the leasing company....

read more

Caring For A Parent? Claim Them On Your Taxes For Extra Savings

Posted by on Mar 26, 2015 in Uncategorized | Comments Off

A growing number of middle-aged and older Americans are financially and physically supporting other adult members of their family – often parents and grandparents. There are tax benefits available to help out in this situation, but do you qualify to take them? The Rules for Claiming an Adult Dependent There are two types of dependents: qualifying children and qualifying adults. The rules are similar for both categories, but qualifying relatives generally have a lower income threshold to be considered dependents. So, what are the rules for...

read more